Some Important terminologies
- Project : If something is developed based on a particular user/users requirements, and is used exclusively by them, then it is known as project. The finance is arranged by the client to complete the project successfully.
- Product : If something is developed based on company’s specification (after a general survey of the market requirements) and can be used by multiple set of masses, then it is known as a product. The company has to fund the entire development and usually expect to break even after a successful market launch.
- Defect v/s Defective: If the product is justifying partial requirements of a particular customer but is usable functionally, then we say that The product has a defect, But If the product is functionally non usable , then even if some requirements are satisfied, the product still will be tagged as Defective.
- Quality Assurance : Quality assurance is a process of monitoring and guiding each and every role in the organization in order to make them perform their tasks according to the company’s process guidelines.
- Quality Control or Validation : To check whether the end result is the right product, In other words whether the developed service meets all the requirements or not.
- Quality Assurance Verification : It is the method to check whether the developed product or project has followed the right process or guidelines through all the phases of development.
- NCR : Whenever the role is not following the process in performing the task assigned, then the penalty given to him is known as NCR ( Non Confirmacy raised).
- Inspection : Its a process of checking conducted by a group of members on a role or a department suddenly without any prior intimation.
- Audit : Audit is a process of checking conducted on the roles or a department with a prior notice, well in advance.
- SCM : Software configuration management : This is a process carried out by a team to attain the following things Version control and Change control . In other terms SCM team is responsible for updating all the common documents used across various domains to maintain uniformity, and also name the project and update its version numbers by gauzing the amount of change in the application or service after development.
- Common Repository : Its a server accessible by authorized users , to store and retrieve the information safely and securely.
- Base lining vs publishing : Its a process of finalizing the documents vs making it available to all the relevant resources.
- Release : Its a process of sending the application from the development department to the testing department or from the company to the market.
- SRN ( Software Release Note ) : Its a note prepared by the development department and sent to the testing department during the release and it contains information about Path of the build, Installation information, test data, list of known issues, version no, date and credentials etc.,
- SDN ( Software delivery Note ) : Its a note prepared by a team under the guidance of a Project manager, and will be submitted to the customer during delivery. It contains a carefully crated User manual and list of known issues and workarounds.
- Slippage : The extra time taken to accomplish a task is known as slippage
- Metrics v/s Matrix : Clear measurement of any task is defined as metrics, whereas a tabular format with linking information which is used for tracing any information back through references is called as Matrix.
- Template v/s document : Template is a pre-defined set of questionnaire or a professional fill in the blanks set up , which is used to prepare an finalize any document. The advantages of template is to maintain uniformity and easier comprehension, throughout all the documentation in a Project, group, department , company or even larger masses.
Change Request v/s Impact Analysis : Change request is the proposal of the customer to bring some changes into the project by filling a CRT ( change request template). Whereas Impact analysis is a study carried out by the business analysts to gauze , how much impact will fall on the already developed part of the application and how feasible it is to go ahead with the change or demands of the customer.